Thursday, January 15, 2009


The best thing just happened! My 5th grade son won the school wide geography bee. Here's how it played out: There were 5 5th graders and 5 6th graders on the stage. The teacher went down the line and asked them all a question. Only Carter and one other boy got a question right in the first round. In the second round nobody got a question right which made Carter and the other boy the finalists. This stressed the teacher out and she decided to have another round. Now the practice questions were like this:

"This state is the closest state to fjords and active volcanoes."

Hard, but if you think it through you can figure it out. The actual test questions were NOTHING like that. I have a map hanging on my wall, I've been some places, I went to college and studied history and I knew the answer to ONLY ONE question!! Anyway, even after letting the other kids have another shot at it, we got to the final round and it was still between Carter and a 6th grader. They both missed the first two questions and then Carter won it with the last question.

Picture it, the suspense is building. Both kids hadvea whiteboard and have to write down their answer to the same question. They have 15 seconds to answer the question. They read the question and I had no clue what the answer was (ok, that the case with all the questions). My husband (who is way smarter than me but still can't be in charge of the boys getting their Eagle Scout) knew the answer (to ALL the questions) and whispered it to me. I was watching Carter write the answer and I could tell he got it RIGHT!! Unfortunately, the 6th grader missed it so Carter WON! Every kid needs to be the winner sometime so it was cool he got his moment. Anyway, this is your chance to prove you are smarter than me - and those other 9 elemetary kids. The question is written below, give yourself 15 seconds to answer it - no cheating!!

"Mexico City is located on the site of Tenovhtitlan, the island capital of what empire that was conquered by Spanish explorers in the 16th century?"

Seriously, that is HARD and nothing like the practice questions! (Can't figure it out? I'll post the answer tomorrow). As excited as I am for my son I have to say I think, like algebra, you can get through life without knowing this information. Really, there is only so much room in our brains and we have to save space so we can remember when we are supposed to be watching American Idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment