Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Conversations with a 13 year old boy


I picked my son up from school the other day and this is the conversation we had:

ME: How was school?
HIM: Fine
ME: Did you start a new piece in your Urban Scrawl class? (Do you see how smart I am? I have read all the parenting books about raising sons, I know you should ask specific questions to draw your children out!)
HIM: No
ME: Did you see Luke and Joe at lunch? Are they still getting ready for their big backpacking trip? (See, I am not giving up! I will continue to question him and show interest in his life and friends because I read that in the parenting book)
HIM: (Grunt)
ME: So did anything special happen today? (I know, it is open ended but I am running out of ideas here.)
HIM: No.
(I notice a blue bracelet on his arm that I haven't seen before.)
ME: Hey, what is the rubber bracelet you are wearing?
HIM: Oh, I go it from this guy who came and spoke to us today. He is in a wheelchair and is climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro to raise money for kids in Africa.
ME: Why didn't you tell me about it?
HIM: You didn't ask.

OF COURSE!! One of the questions, clearly should have been, "Did you have any motivational speakers today?" - why didn't the parenting books tell me that?!? Maybe because the people who wrote the parenting books DON'T HAVE ANY CHILDREN. Maybe I just didn't understand the instructions they gave me, this conversation is eerily like many of the conversations I have with my husband so maybe it is me - any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I have a 13 year old that does the same thing with me. I think it's the beginning signs of men are from mars and women are from venus! I get the same responses with homework...thankfully I can check those online. But I will be sure to add the motivational speaker question to my list now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ironic, Maddie and I had nearly the same conversation on the way home from school today. Remeber when they were little an we thought they would never stop talking?

    ReplyDelete